Sunday, December 7, 2014

THE GHOST OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST, 2009

I saw this movie today and cried.  Was impressed with the lines that Matthew McConaughey's character produced toward the end where he begs his brother's bride to go through with their wedding and marry his brother.  He says, "He's sorry."

Then he begs her not to run away, that "they have something so rare and so powerful.  Don't chicken out now."

Appalled, she ejects "Chicken!"  Then hurt and miffed, she charges "He cheated!"  

"Get over it.  It was years ago.  With some slutting friend incidentally you're not even mad at.  And you know why?  Because you don't actually care.  You love Paul so much that you forgave him the second you heard.  And that's what scares you."

"You have no idea how I feel!  No idea." 

 He's got hurts of his own, "Yes.  Yes I do.  He says to her "I've been in your shoes" as he looks at Jennifer Garner's character, .  "You know what?  it scared me too.  What if she hurt me?  What if she left me?  What if she died?  It'd been the end of me, so I cut it short before she ever could hurt me.  And you know what--it was the biggest mistake I have ever made.  And you're making that same mistake right now and I'll be goddamned if I am going to sit by and watch.  You gotta risk love, Sandra.  Risk it.  I didn't.  Look at me.  I'm an empty, lonely, ghost of a man.  It doedn't mean that you're never gonna get hurt.  But I can guarantee you this.  Any pain that you feel will never, ever compare to the regret from walking away from love.  Cause some of us have felt a lot of both. Trust me.  Pain beats every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Don't run away.  Don't do it."

"I can't believe I am saying this, but I think you might be right."

"So . . . you want to get married?"

"I do . . . ."

It's a touching ending.


No comments:

Post a Comment